Kooka or chinese potato as they are called in English are a favourite of the Konkanis in and around Udupi -Mangalore and in Kerela where it is called as Sopur Kook.This Kooka can be replaced in most of the dishes that require surnu(elephant yam) or potato.We make many varieties from this and sukke is one among them.Sukke is a side dish and can be prepared with combination of 2-3 veggies like Gulla-Mashingasangh and Batate Sukke .
- 1/4 kg of kooka
- 1 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies
- a Tbsp of urad dal(black gram dal)
- a Tbsp of coriander seeds(kothambari)
- Small piece of tamarind
- a Tsp of jaggery
- Salt to taste
- Oil for tempering
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
|Kooka before peeling|
|chopped after peeling|
- Peel the skin of the Kooka and wash it thoroughly changing water several times to remove the mud and the dirt.
- Chop it as shown in the picture above and keep it immersed in water until ready to be pressure cooked.
- Pressure cook the chopped Kooka with little bit of salt for 1-2 whistles.
- Roast red chillies,urad dal and coriander seeds.
- Grind the coconut ,red chillies ,tamarind along with the roasted dal and seeds with little water to not so fine paste( refer here.).
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When they splutter add the ground paste and stir.
- Now add the boiled Kooka ,salt and some water and mix well.
- Add jaggery at this stage and cook covered for 5 more minutes and switch off.
- Enjoy with your meals.
- Similar sukke can be made with beans and potatoes,cowpea beans and potatoes or any other combination of vegetables.
- Kooka is available at any of the Kerela stores also .