GSB never ever waste any thing in cooking. This dish is another example to it. When certain vegetables are in excess after the main dish, they mix all and cook this tasty dish. All the under mentioned vegetables are not a must one. You can skip some vegetables or add some. But I promise you, this dish is a divine tasty one. This is a favorite dish of GSB Cochin.
- Potato – 1 medium
- Chinese potato – 6 big
- Sweet potato – 1 medium
- Mande (Arbi) – 1 medium
- Long beans – 6 nos.
- Raw banana – 1 medium
- Karambal – 1 big
- Chilly Powder – 2 tbsp
- Hing powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
- Peel, wash and cut all the vegetables including karambal, (1 inch length wise) into thin pieces.
- In a pan cook all the vegetables including karambal adding chilly powder, salt and water.
- When it is cooked add hing powder and mix well.
- Finally add coconut oil, and cook for a little while more.
“Koot humman” is ready. Serve with hot rice, dosa, idli etc.
- In the authentic recipe no seasoning is there.
- Seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves is optional.
- Instead of karambal you can add Birmikarambal (Bimbul).