This is a very commonly made & a favourite upkari of Konkanis
- 250 gms French Beans or pharasbi
- 1 large sized potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 Green chilly slit vertically
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- Coconut oil preferably
- Wash the pharasbi, remove the ends and strings. Finely chop them. Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add urad dal. Stir it till the urad dal turns slightly brown color.
- Now add green chilly, curry leaves and fry for few seconds. Add potato pieces, stir it and cover the pan with lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add finely chopped beans and sauté it for 2 minutes. Cover it with lid and cook it on low flame. Keep checking in between if it is done.
- Once the beans are done, add salt and mix it well. Cook it covered again for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Garnish it with grated coconut and upkari is ready.
- This stir fry goes well as side dish with rice and dalitoy or chappatis.
- Sometimes, I exclude potato and just go ahead with beans only in this preparation.
- I usually don’t add water to this stir fry, but sometimes if pharasbi are not so tender then we can sprinkle few drops of water that helps to cook the veggie.