This dish is a satvik one and often seen in Cochin GSB temple feasts, marriages, Upanayanas etc. as a side dish. This is so tasty one and favorite of many. You too enjoy this dish at home.
- Potato – 2 medium
- Mande (Arbi) – 2 medium
- Long beans – 6 nos.
- Karathe (bitter gourd) – 1 small
- Karambal – 1 medium
- Green chilly – 4 (half slit)
- Grated Coconut of ½ coconut.
- Hing powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves few
- Salt to taste.
Karathya Dhave Humman
- Grind grated coconut and extract the thick milk. Keep aside.
- Again grind the same coconut adding water and extract the thin milk. Keep aside.
- Peel and wash Potato, Mande and cut in to small flat pieces.
- Wash long beans and cut it into 1 inch length size.
- Wash and cut bitter gourd and karambal into small pieces.
- In pan cook all the vegetables including karambal and green chillies in thin coconut milk.
- When the vegetables are cooked add salt and hing powder. Mix well.
- Now add thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Switch of the gas.
- Season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Karathya Dhave Humman is ready. Serve with hot rice as a side dish.
You can substitute Karambal with Birmikarambal (Bimbul).