Though many don’t like bitter gourd GSB’s have used it to make the most delicious dishes that can make anyone who tastes it into a fan of karate !! . Here is one such simple dish which will leave you asking for more !
- Bitter gourds – 3 small – chopped finely
- Green chilliy – 1
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Tamarind – an amla size piece
- Red chillies – 5 or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp , methi seeds – 1/2 tsp , Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Oil – preferably coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Slit the green chilly & add salt to it & the chopped karate . keep aside for about 10 minutes .
- Grind the red chillies , coconiut & tamarind to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil & add half the oil , splutter mustard seeds . add the methi & urad dal & fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the salted karate & the paste . Cover & cook on slow fire .
- When it is cooked add the remaining oil & let roast on slow fire . the taste appreciates the longer it is roasted .
- Take care not to burn it . If you want to cut down on the oil , use a non-stick pan & keep stir frying to let it roast well !
Makes an excellent side dish with rice & dalithoy !!
2 replies to “Kaarathe Sukke”