Upkari is simple stir fry which is common in any konkani household during lunch or dinner as side dish.It is simple,easy and quick to prepare .This can also be very healthy way of making the family members eat different variety of vegetables.Usually in Upkaris a single vegetable is combined with potato or the vegetable is used as such but here I am combining the vegetable with tender peanuts which are also very good for health.Do try this crunchy munchy Upkari for a change and you too will love this.
- 1/4 kg of cowpea beans/alsande.
- 1/2 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsps of coconut
- 1 small cup of tender peanuts
- Salt to taste
- Pinch hing(asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp jaggery(optional)
- 2 red chillies broken
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Strip the ends of the cowpea beans ,wash and chop them into small pieces.
- Remove the peanuts from its shell and wash them thoroughly to remove all the mud.
|chopped alsande and peanuts|
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter add curry leaves,hing and red chillies n stir.Then add the chopped alsande and peanuts and mix well.
- Now add some water,salt ,coconut,jaggery(if using) and close the lid .
Cook on low flame till they are cooked checking 1-2 times in between.
Serve as a side dish with lunch or dinner.
- Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Open the lid and check for water in between and sprinkle some if required.
- Adding jaggery does not make it sweet..its used to enhance the flavours so i recommend adding it.
- If tender peanuts are not available you can soak the regular peanuts for 1 hour and then proceed with the recipe though that may take longer time to cook .
- You can also use potatoes instead of peanuts or different combos of vegetables like beans- potato,cauliflower-potato,cabbage-potato,potato- capsicum or any other combo which you feel will make a good combo.