This is a very traditional recipe of the GSB community in Kerela .This recipe is adapted from Jaya V. Shenoy Cook Book , You can do this with only bitter gourds too
- 2 bitter gourds(karathe)
- 1/2 cup cowpea beans chopped(alsande)
- 2 raw bananas (peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 large potato (chopped)
- 12-15 green chillies
- 2 cups coconut
- 1/2 cup elephant yam(surnu)
- 1/4 tsp hing dissolved in water(asafoetida)
- 6 bimbuls/small lemon sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Grind the coconut with water and extract 2 cups of thick milk.
- Add some more water to the same coconut and grind again and extract nearly 3-4 cups of thin milk.
- Chop the bitter gourds ,apply salt and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook the remaining veggies with 3 cups of thin coconut milk for 1 whistle or till done.
- Squeeze the bitter gourd and boil them in the remaining thin coconut milk along with slit green chillies and bimbul(chopped) or tamarind till they are cooked.
- Now combine all the cooked veggies and add the thick coconut milk,salt and the asafoetida and boil again for few minutes.
- Season with curry leaves,mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
This Konkani food is slightly different from the Cochin GSBs Deve Hummann!