Mashinga Saange Ghassi (Drumsticks cooked in daal and spicy coconut masala) .this is also called Pattalle Sukkein
- Fresh green drumsticks -about 5 (whole) but each drumstick cut into finger size pieces.
- Cooked tur dal- about 2 cups
- Salt-to taste.
- Dharambya Sol-1 small piece (helps to enhance the sour flavour in the ghassi)
To be ground to a fine paste:
- Coconut -1/2 freshly grated
- Dry red chillies-3 large ones or as per taste
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Urad dal-1/4 tsp
- Methi seeds – a pinch
- Mustard seeds -1tsp
- Curry leaves – 6-7
- Oil -1 tbsp
|Mashinga Saange sukkein
- Add the washed and chopped drumsticks to the cooked dal along with the sol in a pan and cook for about 10 mins.
- Add salt if needed at this point as the cooked dal will already contain salt.
- In the meantime grind the coconut with all the ingredients mentioned under “To be ground to a paste” list to a very soft paste.
- Now add this masala to the already cooked masinga saang and dal mixture and mix well. Simmer for about 2 mins taking care not to boil this too much otherwise the ghassi will become too mushy.
- Now in another pan add a teaspoon of oil, let it heat a little. add the mustard seeds and let this splutter To this add about 1/4 tsp urad dal, roast this till a fine aroma is felt, then add methi seeds,.Now add about curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- Add this spluttering to the freshly prepared ghassi and mix well.
Serve this as a curry with plain rice .