Vaali or Indian Spinach is a very tasty green leafy vegetable. It can be home grown in small pots. Tasty curries like Koddel, Ghashi, ambat can be prepared another variation which grown ups or kids cannot resist is bajo or fritters. Very simple to make and tasty one. Give it a try you will love it!
- 10-12 small to medium leaves of Indian spinach or Vaali
- 1 cup besan or chick pea flour
- 1/2 tsp ajwain or oma
- 1/4th tsp red chilli pwd
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- salt to taste
- Water to make batter
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the besan, oma, red chilli pwd, hing and salt with water to make a smooth paste. The consistency of the batter should not be too thick or thin.
- Wash the Vaali leaves and pat dry on a cloth.
- Dip it in the batter so that a thin film coats the leaf. If the leaves are thickly coated add little more water to the batter.
- Drop in hot oil 2-3 at a time and crisp fry on both sides till golden brown.
Enjoy as a snack or as a side dish with lunch or dinner.