Udida Ghari is a typical cochin GSB’s tea time snack . this is done using white urad dal unlike the more famous Thirupathi Ghari which uses urad dal with skin . This is also made for some religious functions too.
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig cut into small pieces
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
1. Soak the urad dal for 2-3 hours . Wash well & set for the water to drain in a sieve .
2. Now grind the dal with black pepper , in a mixer to a somewhat coarse paste . Avoid adding water . if you must then just sprinkle some water .
3. Add the chilli powder , jeera , curry leaves ,salt , hing & haldi. Mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a kadai well . then reduce flame to low . Pinch off small portions of the dough / peet and drop in the hot oil .DO NOT put too many at a time .
5. Let the Gharis fry in low flame for about 5 minutes . This is to let the insides to cook well . If you fry on high flame , the insides may remain uncooked . Now increase flame . Remove when they have turned a lovely brown .
6. Do the same with the rest of the dough . you may make it without any particular shape too.
Enjoy with tea or coffee . This does not need any side dishes as such .
For Nag panchami Soppur ghari is made by replacing red chilli powder for green chillies . this is used for the naivedhya !