Kismuri is the Konkani word used for salads.I have already posted the Karathe(bittergourd) Kismuri and the Happala (papads) Kismuri which are mainly coconut based with onions .This recipe doesnt require too much of coconut and includes carrots and other veggies which makes it look colourful and favourite with the kids.This Kismuri is also prepared in temple during Teru(Rathotsava/Car Festival) in my native but without carrots and is a’ Sathvik’ dish.I add carrots to make it more colourful and healthy.You can also make this only with mungdal.
- Handful of mung dal
- 2 small carrots or 1 big carrot grated
- 1/4 cup cucumber(optional) chopped
- 3 – 4 tbsp of grated raw mango or juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut
- 1- 2 green chillies
- Pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- Tsp of oil for tempering
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Coriander leaves 3-4 sprigs
Soak the mung dal for 2 hours
After 2 hours drain the water and wash the mung dal nicely and keep aside. Grind coconut, green chillies,hing ,coriander leaves with salt coarsely (just a round in mixer will do) without water and add to the mung dal.
Mix it gently ,and add seasoning of curry leaves, mustard seeds and red chillies if making only with Mungdal. OR
add the grated carrots,cucumbers chopped( if using),grated raw mango or lemon juice to the same ..
Now add salt and mix well .Prepare the seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves ..cool a bit and then add it to the bowl and mix again so that the seasoning is evenly mixed .
Serve this as a side dish with meal.
- Chana dal is also used to prepare the same dish,in that case you need to soak the dal overnight or minimum 4-5 hours and then proceed.If you don’t like the raw chana dal you can par boil ,cool and then use it but mung dal is more preferred .
- The leftover can be refrigerated but this tastes best when freshly prepared.
- Seasoning is optional,this tastes equally good without it too.
- Coconut along with green chillies (finely chopped) and coriander leaves(chopped) can be added as such instead of crushing but this blends well and the kids also can relish this way without worrying about the green chillies.
- The modern version of this Kismuri which is quite a rage now a days in functions uses sweetcorn and pomegranate(pic shown below).Mung dal should be avoided if using corn,- the corn should be blanched and cooled and then proceed with the same recipe. .
- This can be prepared only with mungdal as mentioned above OR only with cucumbers too adding lots of it along with mungdal or only with carrots and mungdal .
|Kismuri with corn and pomegranates|