Mung dal is known to be light on stomach and easy to digest.We prepare many varieties with mung dal like dal, upkari (stir fry) and Salad.. too. We also prepare sweets with it and today I am sharing one such recipe of dessert made from the dal. The dish is quite easy to prepare and healthy too .Do try this whenever you crave for any desserts and indulge in it guilt free.
- 1 cup mung dal
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3/4th cup of jaggery OR as required
- Raisins and cashewnuts to garnish
- 5-6 Cardamom pods
- A tbsp. of ghee
- Take a pan and dry roast the mung dal till slight change in colour and a nice aroma fills in.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles or until the dal is well cooked using sufficient water.
- Once the pressure releases, add crushed jaggery and keep aside.
- Extract coconut milk by grinding coconut with little water and 5-6 Cardamom pods.
- Strain it using a strainer or a muslin cloth in a wide bowl
- By this time the jaggery added to cooked dal would have been almost melted. check for sweetness and add some more if required .
- Put it on low flame so that remaining jaggery if any, melts completely.
- Add the coconut milk and stir properly so that everything blends well thoroughly.
- Boil on low flame for 3-5 minutes .stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the gas and remove from flame.
- Fry the nuts and raisins in ghee and pour over the dessert
- The delicious and healthy dessert from mung dal is ready to be served.
- Tastes best as such or even chilled.
- Adding jaggery to the hot dal helps in melting the jaggery fast.
- I have added jaggery without melting and straining it. you can melt and strain it . if your jaggery have impurities
- I have added only thick milk of coconut and adjusted the consistency by adding a bit water . you can extract thin milk if you prefer.
- It thickens as it cools, so keep the consistency a bit runny while preparing.
- If it gets too thick while serving or later in the day then adjust by adding some warm milk.