Karathe Thalasini (Bitter gourd and raw mango stir fry) ” Thalasini ” (sounds nice right? ) is a dry curry usually prepared either with ivy gourds or with carrots or beans with garlic seasoning. Garlic fried in coconut oil as a seasoning is the most important part of a normal thalasini. But here in this thalasini prepared with the bitter gourd and raw mangoes ,no garlic is used but still it is called thalasini. One of those curries which were in my black list once ,,but suddenly changed to be most favourite ones…… So here goes the mouthwatering recipe
- Karathe (Bitter gourd ) – 1
- Raw mango – 1
- Green chillies – 6 to 8
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Cut the karathes in to thin long pieces and keep it salted for one hour..
- Now squueze out the bitter juice out of it and keep aside.
- Cut the mango too into thin slices.
- Now heat coconut oil in a kadayi and add mustard seeds to it.
- Add the broken red chillies.
- Add the slit green chillies and hing and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the bitter gourd and mango pieces together to the seasoning .
- Saute it for a while.
- Add salt and sufficient water ..Cover with a lid and let it cook.
- Turn off when the water is nicely abosrbed and the vegetables become soft.
You can replace the raw mango with bimbuls if you prefer.