|Five star barfis..A Diwali favourite
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup besan (chane peet)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup ghee
- 4 to 5 cardamom pods, finely crushed
- 1/4th cup of cashewnuts and raisins (optional.. I didnt use it)
- Grease a plate or a clean wooden board(manai) and keep handy before you start making the barfis.
- In a large, thick bottomed pan (nonstick pans works fine)add all the first five ingredients, mix well and start heating the mixture on a low flame. (sieve the besan before use)
- Keep stirring on a low flame continuously, so that no lumps are formed…after 15 to 20 minutes the mixture will thicken and start coming together. Add elaichi powder and mix well. when it comes together as a lump, that is the time to switch off the flame.
- Spread it as efficiently as possible on the greased plate/surface. Use a greased parchment sheet or the greased bottom of a plate or even a greased rolling pin to smooth the surface and give it a neat finish.
- Once slightly cooled and hardened, cut it into squares/diamonds using a sharp knife and store after the khadi has cooled completely.