Bhenda kolmbo is one of my favourites …I learnt this recipe from my amma….She always prepared this on auspicious days when you are not allowed to have onion or garlic… The aroma which arises when you fry the ingredients gives you a high!! ….So here goes the recipe !
1. Tur dal – 1/2 cup
2 . Lady’s finger (bhend ) – 12 to 15
3. Tomatoes – 3
4. Tamarind – small piece
To roast in little oil
1. Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
2. Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
3. Urad dal – 1 tsp
4. Jeera – 1/2 tsp
5. Methi /fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
6. Pepper corns – 5 to 7
7. Red chillies – 10 to 12
8. Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook tur dal
- Cook chopped bhindies and tomatoes in the dal adding salt..
- Roast together all the ingredients given under the list adding around 1 tsp of oil .
- Fry till the coconut becomes brown and the nice aroma fills your kitchen…
- Grind this roasted ingredients along with tamarind adding sufficient water to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked bhindies ….
- Let the kolmbo boil well….& then switch off flame ..
- Crush some handful of curry leaves on your palms and spread over the kolmbo…
- Make a seasoning of mustard and one or two broken red chillies and pour it over the kolmbo..
- A lip smacking Kolombo is ready ….
- Enjoy with steaming rice and do not forget to crush one or two pappads in that….Almost a heavenly combo…….
This recipe does not require onion ….
Same recipe can be applied to mixed vegetables too….
6 replies to “Bhenda Kolombo”
Delicious one !
thnks sandhya n ushakka..
Thanks for the yummy recipe ..Priya.. have tried it many times and always a hit..:)
Delicious recipe. Tried it many times and always a hit. Thanks for sharing
Thank you so much