The leaf is used to make Pathrado, in Valval and Phodis, The stem is used as accompaniment in any pulse curries, The flower and bud is used to make yummy phodi which I am going to put up here. Pumpkin is also used to make Sweets and curries which this blog has in plenty.
Now lets get started to make these yummy fritters. However there are a few caution which I would like to cite here before starting the recipe.
1. Pluck buds from the Pumpkin plant preferably cut with a knife or scissors.
2. Pluck flowers which are fresh and bloomed rather the one which are a day old (that is slightly wilted)as the wilted flowers tend to soak lot of oil when deep fried.
3. The flowers need to be soaked in warm salt water just as to remove any insects and mud impurities. Check each flower before using.
4. The stem and the sepal needs to be carefully removed without breaking the flower.
- 20-25 Pumpkin bud and flower (soaked in warm salt water for 15 mins and drained completely)
- 2 tsp red chilli powder.
- 1 tsp hing
- little salt as we add the flowers to salted water
For the outer covering :-
- 4 tablespoon rice flour (you can add more if required )
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
Take flowers remove the Stem and Sepal carefully so as to not break the flower. Please see the pic below.
Soak the flowers in salted warm water for 15 minutes
Squeeze each flower ensuring no trace of water in any of them and collect it in a bowl. See the pic you can see a bowl of muddy water.
Now add all the masalas including both the flours and mix till each flower coats well.
Deep fry in hot oil in batches and drain on absorbent paper.
Enjoy these hot crisp mouth melting phodis…