Ronti /Tukdi are commonly prepared in every household. There is a spicy as well all a sweet version. This one is the spicy one.They make a perfect evening snack with hot piping tea/coffee. Original recipe uses maida but i have used wheat flour just to make it a little healthy.
Servings – 5 cups
- Wheat Flour – 2 cups
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2-3 tsp
- Ajwain – 1 tsp ( or jeera )
- Black sesame seeds – 2 tsp( I used white ones )
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsps and for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add atta, ajwain, chilli powder, salt,white / black sesame seeds and 2 tbsp of hot oil and mix well.
- Add enough water and bind into a stiff dough.
- Let it rest for 1/2 an hour.
- After 1/2 an hour make lemon size balls and keep aside..
- Apply little oil on the rolling board so that the rotis don’t stick.
- Take each ball and roll into thin rotis.
- Loosen the roti from all sides. This will help in cutting well.
- Then cut these using rollers or knife as illustrated in the pic below, to form small diamond pieces.
- Lift all the pieces using a flat spatula or knife and put them on parchment or greased plastic sheets.
- Never mind if they stick together. They will detach once thrown in hot oil.
- Once all the dough is done, fry each portion in medium hot oil.
- Keep tossing the pieces.
- Remove from oil once they start getting a reddish brown colour.
- These take less time to cook hence will blacken quickly.
- Serve them hot with a cup of tea /coffee.
- Store them in air tight containers.
- If you do not use wet hands they will remain for 20 – 25 days.