Summer is here with its heat & the only relief is the delicious raw & ripe Mangoes we get in this season ! Mango pickles are best made now & stocked up for the year ahead ! while I have given recipes for pickles that last long ! here is one you can make quickly & easily and still has an awesome taste !This is my amma’s signature dish and everyone who tasted this would love it & would not leave without asking for the recipe !
So lets see how to make this quickie!
- Raw mango – 1 large
- Salt – as per taste
- Chilli Powder – 50 gms – or more as per taste
- hing – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds & Methi (fenugreek ) seeds – 1 tsp each
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds & curry leaves for seasoning( optional -also can add 1/2 tsp Udid dal & 1/4th tsp methi seeds)
- Peel & chop the mango into tiny pieces . ( if the mango has a very thin skin – you may not peel but chop as such ).
- Add salt & mix well . keep closed for some time until the pieces have let off water. If you are in a hurry you may proceed without waiting . but I recommend that you wait .
- Roast the mustard & methi seeds separately & powder them together . Keep aside
- Now heat the oil ( use gingelly oil only for best results – do not use coconut oil ).
- Splutter mustard seeds . then add the curry leaves . switch off the flame & add the chilli powder , be careful not to burn it . add the chilli powder & the hing too .
- Now add the mango pieces and mix well . Cover & cook on a slow fire for about 5 minutes .
- Add the mustard – methi powder & mix well ..cook for another 2 minutes and switch off flame.
- Cool & transfer to a clean glass jar.
- You may start to use this right away . Keep in fridge for longer shelf life!
Note :-Add chilli powder according to the sourness of the mango . its better to make it overly spicy as the sourness will tend to lessen the spiciness on keeping for some time !
This goes so well with curd rice !
2 replies to “Instant Ambiya Edigai”
Very tasty pickle..loved it
So happy you liked this