“Bhenda Sasam” is a lip smacking GSB dish liked by many irrespective of age. This preparation varies from place to place and even house to house. This recipe is simply a mouth watering one which we can prepare even with “Joon Bhend” (more mature ).
This recipe has got two sections. One is preparation of Bhenda Baluk and the other one is preparation of gravy.
1. Preparation of Bhenda Baluk
- Bhend (even Joon Bhend) 4 to 5
- Urad dal flour……2 tbsp
- Rice flour…….4 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash Bhende and wipe with a cloth. Cut it in to 1 cm round piece.
- Apply some salt and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix Urad dal flour and rice flour in the ratio. 1:2.and keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying and when the oil boils medium, fry the Bhenda pieces after rolling in the flour.
- Fry it till it is crisp and keep aside.
2 Preparation Of the Gravy
- Coconut gratings -1 Cup
- Red Chilly – 2
- Butter milk — 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
For Seasoning :-
- Oil 1½ tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Curry leaves few.
- Grind the Masala adding all the ingredients mentioned to a fine paste. (while adding salt remember that we have already applied salt to the Bhenda pieces).
- Add required water to maintain medium thick consistency .
- Season this masala with the ingredients mentioned.
- You need not heat this masala. . Keep aside.
- Mix the Fried Bhenda piecies with the gravy. (mix only when you are serving)
- This mouth watering dish is ready to serve with hot.rice
- The excess Fried Bhenda pieces itself is very tasty one that we can serve with rice, just like Odi, Papad etc.
- We can Use tender Bhend also.
- We also prepare this “Sasam” using Yam, Potato, etc
- If you don’t have the stock of Urad dal flour…you can dry fry urad dal and powder it .
4 replies to “Bhenda Sasam”
Liked this so much Jayakka ! such a subtle flavour ..too good !!
Thank you Usha.
This is such a fab recipe ….too good to taste and it's been my fav ever since i tried it….fab !
Very tasty recipe