- Rhumbad – 1 cup – ( quartered & cleaned )
- Grated Coconut – 3/4 cup
- Red Chillies – 5 -8 as per your spice level
- Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
After chopping – the seeds of the fruit have to be removed , they are very tiny and so you can remove them in two ways – either drop them in a vessel of water & wash well & drain the fruits . or you can add salt to them & keep for a while . when you see it has left water ..you can slightly crush with your palms . squeeze the water out and then winnow to remove the seeds . the fruit is ready to be cooked now
- Heat the oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds ..Then add the urad dal & methi and let it brown ,
- Now add the salted rhumbad & a little water . Cover & cook .
- Grind to a coarse paste – the coconut , red chillies , tamarind & turmeric powder adding very little or no water
- When the rhumbhad is almost cooked , add the coconut paste & mix well .
- Cover & cook on low flame stirring in between so that it gets well roasted ( bhajjunnu kadaka)You can add a little more oil if you want or use a non-stick pan if you dont want to use much oil . Remove from stove when done
Enjoy this with rice as a side dish !