Bamboo shoots are the edible creamy coloured part of the bamboo plant . They are harvested when they are about two weeks old . They have a mild flavour and a crunchy texture .They are available fresh or canned but the fresh ones have a greater flavour .This recipe requires the top most & tenderest part of the shoot !
- Toor dal – 2 handfuls
- Coconut grated -1 cup
- Red chillies – 8- 10
- Tender bamboo shoots (the tip part),chopped – 2 cups,
- Tamarind – a big gooseberry size,
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp,
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Boil the chopped fresh bamboo shoots in water, throw away the water, as it will taste bitter when it is fresh and not brined.
- If we use brined ones, we have to soak it in water overnight to remove the extra salt.
- Cook till tender adding fresh water and salt, if required
- Grind together coconut, red chillies and tamarind to a fine paste
- Cook the toor dal adding just enough water.
- Mix the dal with the cooked bamboo shoots, boil for a while and add ground masala.
- Mix well and cook keeping it in a medium consistency .
- Give a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves in preferably coconut oil.you can use any other oil too.
Enjoy with hot rice !