- Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Magge ( yellow cucumber), Potato , Brinjal ,Drumstick, Surnu,Tendle ( ivy gourd)- altogether – 3 cups
- Onion – 1 medium sized + 1tbsp chopped finely
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Roasted red chillies – 10 to 12
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Pressure cook tur dal and vegetables together.
- Grind coconut ,roasted red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste adding sufficient water
- Add this mix to the cooked dal and veg.
- Let it boil well.
- Now turn off and keep it aside
- For preparing the seasoning ,heat a tbsp of oil in a small pan.
- Now fry the finely chopped onion till it turns golden brown.
- Pour the seasoning over the ambat and its ready .
Enjoy with rice.
The list of veggies I have given are the basic ones which are used for this ambat. You can add any other veggies that you like along with them or you can exclude any of the veggies .
But don’t add lady’s finger or tomatoes in the ambat.