Here is a very tasty amchi delicacy with keerlu / bamboo shoots made with bamboo shoots, bitter gourd and hog plums as a dry curry.
- Bitter gourd – 1 big
- Hog plums / ambado – 2 big
- Brined Bamboo shoots ( cubed ) – 1 cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
- Red chilies ( preferably byadagi ) – 6 or as per taste
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsps
- Udid dal – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup or less as per taste
- Salt if needed
- Oil , mustard seeds – 1 tsp & curry leaves – 1 sprig – for seasoning
- Keep the bamboo shoots ready by removing them the previous night itself to remove extra salt
- Fry the chillies in a little oil
- Fry the coriander & urad dal in a little oil till they are a golden colour.
- Grind the coconut and red chillies .add the coriander seeds & urad dal ,
- Again grind to a little coarse paste. keep aside .
- Chop the bitter gourd , add salt , mix well , keep for some time & then squeeze out the water .
- Crush the hog plums using a mortar & pestle . since I got very tender ones ..I just chopped them .
- In a kadai .season the mustard & curry leaves with 2 tbsps of oil .
- Now add the bitter gourd , hog plums & bamboo shoots , add a little water & very little salt. Cover and cook till done .
- Now add grated jaggery & mix well . Cover and simmer for some more time .
- Then add ground masala , Mix well & add water if needed as er the consistency you require.
- Cook for another 2 minutes ! your mouth watering dish is ready!