Phodis are nothing but the deep fried fritters or bhajiyas which is always a favourite to go along with tea or coffee in the evenings.Though now everyone have become health conscious its still hard to resist when it comes to these phodis and every age group enjoys them.Its better to have it once in while at home where it is hygienically and freshly prepared rather than outside.I thought of sharing the detailed recipe with step by step pictures for the newbies and beginners in cooking world because though the recipe seems simple and easy,there are some minute details which needs to be taken care of to get them perfect.so let’s start with the recipe ….
|Bread fruit fritters, sweet potato fritters and potato fritters
- 1 big sweet potato /2 big potatoes
- 1 cup of besan(chickpea flour)
- Salt as required
- A Tbsp of red chilli powder
- A Tsp of turmeric powder
- A Generous pinch of hing
- A Tsp or two of cumin seeds(zeera)
- Oil as required for deep frying
Peel the potatoes and sweet potatoes and slice them into thin roundels..neither too
thick nor thin. Immerse them in water for sometime
In a big bowl take the chickpea/besan flour and add rest of the ingredients except oil.Add water little by little and whisk with a hand whisk to remove lumps and form a smooth batter.Check for seasonings and add any if required.
Remove the vegetable roundels from the water and sprinkle some salt on them and toss them.Heat oil in a pan and after a min or two drop a small portion of the
batter in the oil to check if it is ready …if the dropped portion comes up immediately then the oil is hot enough for deep frying.
Dip each roundel in the besan batter so that it is covered with the batter evenly on all sides and drop them in oil.At a time ,depending on the size of the kadhai you can drop 8-10 in the oil.
At this stage turn the flame to medium high and wait for few mins… the veggies will start floating slowly.Flip or turn them gently and continue to fry for few more minutes until you get a nice golden yellow .
Remove them on a paper towel to drain off excess oil
Enjoy them hot with a cup of coffee/tea.
|sweet potato fritters with coffee
|potato fritters/phodis with tea
- Any vegetable can be used apart from the veggies shown above,the most commonly used are cauliflower,raw banana,brinjal,capsicum,ridge gourd.
- To make it more crsip add a tbsp or two of cornflour or rice flour to the batter and then mix.
- You can also remove a tbsp of hot oil from the kadhai and add it to the batter to make the phodis crisp.
- Adjust the seasonings and the flour as per your requirement
- Be careful while flipping the phodis or else there is a chance of oil spillage .
- Never use newspaper to drain excess oil as the ink in them is very toxic.
- We also make phodis with bread fruit /jeev kadgi ..as its seasonal and not available everywhere, i could not click pictures of it while preparing.
|Bread fruit fritters