So lets see how to make these yumm bites !
For this a little treatment of the mango seeds is needed to be done beforehand itself !
First break the hard , tough shell and gently remove the soft seed unbroken . Dry them under the sun for about 2-3 days . Now put them in a large porcelain or glass jar filled with water ( no need to add salt ) . Let them remain in water until they turn soft ..change the water occasionally ! this may take upto a month . Once they become soft , they can be used to make this yumm snack !
- Mango seeds – 10
- Raw rice – 1& 1/2 cups
- Rice flour – about 2 tbsps
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Red Chillies – 10
- Haldi – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the seeds thoroughly and make into pieces
- Soak the rice for 3-4 hours . Then grind it along with the mango pieces , grated coconut & red chillies to a soft smooth paste using very little water . .
- Add the hing , salt & haldi .
- Now add the rice flour as required to the paste to make it into a soft pliable dough ( like the Chakkuli dough )
- Now pinch off little bits of the dough , rolling them into a ball & flattening them with the thumb . As kids we use to get involved in this job of rolling the shimphis in anticipation of being allowed to eat a large number of these bites !!!
- When all the shimphis are done .. deep fry them in small batches till they turn brown and get a crisp texture .
- Remove & let cool before storing them in air tight containers .
- They keep for a long time when handled carefully !