Winters are back and who doesn’t want to indulge?,but today I am not talking about the various bhajiyas and pakodas or other deep fried stuff which we usually long to have during winters.Today I am sharing a simple saaru recipe which will tempt us to have a second helping of rice and indulge ourselves.My amma during winters and monsoon adds pepper powder generously to this saaru which makes it more tasty and apt for the weather.I had forgotten about this saaru until she reminded me about this a couple of days ago.Do try and am sure you will love it.
- 1/4 cup or less of grated coconut
- 1-2 green chillies
- Tsp of cumin seeds(jeera)
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt to taste
- Tsp of mustard seeds
- Sprig of curry leaves
- 1 red chilli broken
- Pinch hing
- Lemon juice of 1 big lemon
- Tbsp or less of black pepper powder(optional)
Grind coconut,green chillies,zeera and haldi powder to a smooth paste using water.
- Bring to a gentle boil adding pepper powder(if using) and lower the flame for few minutes and switch off.
- Season with mustard,curry leaves,red chillies and hing.
- Just a couple of minutes before serving add the lemon juice and stir well.
Healthy,delicious and tangy lemon saaru is ready.
- Don’t boil it for too long or else it will appear like curdled..this applies for every saaru which has coconut as base.
- Never add lemon while boiling and while re heating the leftover, just heat it and do not boil.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper powder as per your preference and tanginess required.