- Karambal — 3 or 4
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Roasted red chillies – 6 or as per taste
- Raw rice, uncooked – 1 tsp
- Powdered jaggery – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Udid dal – 1/2 tbsp
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tbsp
- Big pinch of hing
- A sprig of curry leaves.
- Slice the karambals and adding a little water , cook till done.
- Add salt and jaggery and boil for 3 minutes.
- Grind coconut, red chillies to a paste,then add rice and grind again.
- Add the above masala to the cooked veggie and bring to a boil.
- Lastly give a tempering of the ingredients given above.
You can use any one among raw mangoes, bimbuls, hog plums(ambado) or karambals. Gives the same flavour with different aromas.
Here is one with hog plums or ambados – Ambade Udid Methi !
Recipe is same as above except that I have ground this masala very smoothly..some people grind little bit coarsely, as the recipe of karambal udid methi. choice is yours. Only you have to give the tadka at least two hours prior before consuming, so that the tempering is infused with flavour of the dish ..It won’t taste good if eaten immediately !.