Kelya Modoku is a very popular snack among the GSBs of Kochi, Kerala and around it !! Also made as Nivedu for many rituals /poojas , this is very easy & quick to make ! even when you have a lot of over ripe bananas you can prepare this & make your kids & family happy with a delicious & healthy snack ! Ingredients :-
- Wheat flour/atta – 1cup
- Rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar / jaggery – as per choice and sweetness required
- Very ripe bananas ( Mysore kele or other yellow ones ) – 3 to 4
- salt – a pinch
- Mash the bananas well ..then add all the other ingredients . mix well to make a soft dough .
- See that the dough is softer & wetter than a chapati dough ..but should not be too watery . add more flour to thicken it .
- Heat oil in a kadai & drop small balls or pinches of the dough into the oil and deep fry till golden brown .
- Keep the flame on medium so that the insides too cook well and the outside is crisp .
- Remove and serve .
- There are many variations to this as each family follows the traditional methods in their family .
- Some make with just atta and bananas . and do not add sugar or jaggery .
- Some add cardamom too for added flavour .
- Some do not add rice flour while making it as nivedhu/prasad.