Kulle Ambat !! Sounds amusing ,right ?? Yes,its a traditional recipe of my great grand mom . Its simply the mixed veg ambat (with onion seasoning) but prepared in kulles or clay pans ( the flat ones )…Most of the GSB’s in North Kerala especially in Kannur / Thallashery area are great fish lovers…If on some days for any reasons fish were not available and the dil maange more for fish curries , then she used to prepare this ambat in the kulles. It tasted awesome with the aroma that the claypans would impart generously…
- Potato – 1 medium
- Yellow cucumber / magge – cut in small squares – 1/2 cup
- Drumstick – 1
- Onion -1 for seasoning
- Finely chopped onion or shallots – 1 large spoon
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Roasted red chillies – 10 to 12
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Cook the vegetables together in a clay pan (kulle) adding salt in sufficient water.
- Meanwhile grind the grated coconut ,red chillies, tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the cooked vegetables.
- Adjust the consistency adding required water..
- Let it boil and then turn off..
- Now prepare the seasoning. Heat oil and add the finely chopped onion and fry till golden in color.
- Pour the tadka over the ambat.
Now relish this with hot rice!