Its the season of jackfruits again ! Now we are getting small tender Jack fruits and time for us to prepare a favourite dish made in & around Kochi , Kerala by us GSBs !
- Small tender jack fruit – 1
- Grated coconut -1 cup
- Red chillies – 10 or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Oil for seasoning
- Deskin the jack fruit and cut into large pieces . Applying oil to hands & knife will help in avoiding a messy job because of the white latex present in unripe jack fruits .
- Pressure cook the pieces until soft .
- Grind the coconut adding the red chillies , tamarind & turmeric powder to a coarse paste .
- In a Kadai heat the oil for seasoning and splutter the mustard seeds .
- Add the urad dal & let it turn brown , Now add the cooked pieces & coconut paste .
- Cover and let cook on simmer . Add little more oil if necessary so that it gets roasted well. Asafoetida / hing may also be added as per taste .
- Serve hot with rice as a side dish .