Sweet Potato is a humble root vegetable with lots of health benefits . Along with starch content it is also rich in carbohydrates,fibre and beta-carotene . In olden days sweet potato (kanang in Konkani) used to be charred and cooked in wood fire and everyone used to enjoy it as a snack . One more item which was commonly done was the upkari , the recipe of which I am sharing today . I usually prepare this as an evening snack or on days when I am fasting as it it quite filling and healthy too.Do try and enjoy this easy and quick recipe.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- A tbsp or two of grated coconut
- A tbsp of oil
- 2 red chillies broken
- Few curry leaves
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A tsp or two of urad dal
- A tbsp of jaggery
- A pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly to remove all the mud,peel and chop them into small cubes and immerse them in water to avoid them into turning black.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,when they splutter add urad dal,curry leaves and fry.
- Add red chillies , pinch hing and stir.
- Remove the chopped sweet potatoes from water and add it to the pan.
- Mix well and add some water ,salt to taste ,coconut gratings and jaggery.
The yummy sweet potato / kananga Upkari is ready to be served steaming hot.
- The sweet potatoes cook very fast , so add little water and keep checking.
- I prefer it a bit sweet ,you can decrease the amount of jaggery if you prefer.