Ghashi’s are usually done with mustard seasoning but this recipe is bit different as it has onions and ginger which gives it a very unique flavour.In this recipe ladies fingers are simmered in a coconut gravy which is flavoured with ginger and onion.Goes well as main course curry with rice.
- 1/4 kg of fresh and tender ladies finger
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 5-6 red chillies roasted
- Marble sized tamarind
- 2 onions chopped
- 1″ piece of ginger chopped
- Salt to taste
Wash the ladies finger, wipe dry with a cloth or paper napkin and chop them into pieces as shown
Heat a few drops of oil in a non stick pan and roast the ladies finger sprinkling salt till they are cooked.It takes about 10-12 minutes.
While it is being roasted ,cook the chopped onions and ginger with water in a wide vessel.
Grind coconut with red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste.
Once the onions and ginger is cooked ,transfer the paste to the vessel ,add water as required ,salt to taste and allow it to boil.
As it starts to boil add the roasted ladies finger to the paste and gently boil on low flame for few minutes.
- You can also drizzle coconut oil on the curry before serving.
- I prefer to roast the ladies finger before adding to the paste as it helps in avoiding the veggie from turning sticky.
- Add the onions and ginger generously to bring out the flavours.