” Bharath” !!!! sounds amusing ??? Even I used to wonder what the name ” Bharath ” has to do with this curry with brinjal …But now I realize its just an amchi version of the Punjabi ” Baingan ka bhartha”.. When the recipe was amchified may be the name was also amchified to ” bharath ” ….. Traditionally this curry is prepared by roasting the whole brinjal in burning coal till its cooked inside.But in the new gen – kitchen this can be done by roasting the brinjals in open flame on a gas stove. Usually the ” Matti Gulla ” variety of brinjals are used for this .But here I have used the normal purple round variety of brinjals.Ingredients :-
- Brinjal – 1
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Roasted red chillies – 8 to 10
- Onion chopped finely – 1 medium sized
- Ginger chopped finely – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Roast the brinjal in open flame till the skin is charred and its cooked inside.
- Keep it aside for cooling.
- Remove the skin carefully and mash the flesh with a spoon well .
- Meanwhile grind coconut , red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add this to the mashed brinjal ,chopped onion and ginger well..
- Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Basically its a semi thick curry .
- Pour fresh coconut oil on top.
- Take care that no cooking is involved in the process apart from the roasting of brinjal.
- Hence it may not stay fresh for a long time .
- You can replace the coconut oil with any type of oil which you prefer .