Here is a very tasty & nutritious breakfast / evening snack of GSB’s based around Kochi – Kerala . Using all varieties of leaves – this is easy to make and healthy since it steamed . the leftovers can be tawa fried to a crisp snack too ! So lets see the recipe ! A variety of leaves can be used for this – the most popular being drumstick ( masingha sange pallo )- , Chopped cabbage , chopped arvi leaves ( mande pann ) & a variety of greens /bhajjis like – sambhar cheera , English cheera, koduvi , methi leaves etc. Here I have used methi leaves .
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/2 of a large coconut
- Red chilies – 6-7 as per taste ( more if you like it spicy )
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1 tsp as per taste
- Salt to taste
- Leaves – cleaned & chopped ( if needed ) – 2 cups
- Soak the boiled rice for at least 6 hours .
- Soak the raw rice for about 3 hours .
- Grind the rices , coconut, chillies , turmeric & tamarind to a coarse , thick paste .
- The consistency should be thick like idli batter .
- Add the leaves ,hing & salt
- You can use the batter straight away for cooking or grind the previous evening , refrigerate & use in the morning .
- Grease the vessel and pour the batter in it .pour only upto three fourths of the vessel.
- Boil water in a steamer or pressure cooker .
- Place the vessel in it .and steam on a moderate flame for about 15 minutes .
- Check for doneness with a tooth pick .
- Switch off flame if the tooth pick comes clean .
- Unmould when a little cooler & cut into desired size pieces ‘
Serve hot with any spicy side dish or sauce .