Here is a very tasty & nutritious breakfast / evening snack of GSB’s based around Kochi – Kerala . Using all varieties of leaves – this is easy to make and healthy since it steamed . the leftovers can be tawa fried to a crisp snack too ! So lets see the recipe ! A variety of leaves can be used for this – the most popular being drumstick ( masingha sange pallo )- , Chopped cabbage , chopped arvi leaves ( mande pann ) & a variety of greens /bhajjis like – sambhar cheera , English cheera, koduvi , methi leaves etc. Here I have used methi leaves .
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/2 of a large coconut
- Red chilies – 6-7 as per taste ( more if you like it spicy )
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1 tsp as per taste
- Salt to taste
- Leaves – cleaned & chopped ( if needed ) – 2 cups
- Soak the boiled rice for at least 6 hours .
- Soak the raw rice for about 3 hours .
- Grind the rices , coconut, chillies , turmeric & tamarind to a coarse , thick paste .
- The consistency should be thick like idli batter .
- Add the leaves ,hing & salt
- You can use the batter straight away for cooking or grind the previous evening , refrigerate & use in the morning .
- Grease the vessel and pour the batter in it .pour only upto three fourths of the vessel.
- Boil water in a steamer or pressure cooker .
- Place the vessel in it .and steam on a moderate flame for about 15 minutes .
- Check for doneness with a tooth pick .
- Switch off flame if the tooth pick comes clean .
- Unmould when a little cooler & cut into desired size pieces ‘
Serve hot with any spicy side dish or sauce .
Here is one such Undi with cabbage .
2 replies to “Palya Thiksani Undi”
Thanks for posting the recipe. Cant wait to try. When you say boiled rice, you mean ukde tandul or sheet? Can you please clarify. Thanks,Shalaka
yes boiled rice means – Ukde tandul – not cooked rice ! please do try & give feed back !