Thoy is general word for a dish which is used as an accompaniment to rice.The most famous and common thoy in Konkani cuisine is daali-thoy i.e Konkani style dal . Today I am sharing a similar thoy made with whole green moong . I remember my maternal grandfather asking for this now and then as he used to feel this is more easily digestible than the toor dal .You can also make this with the split moong i.e yellow moong dal/muga dali . Whole moong /green gram is a very healthy pulse and we all should include it as much as possible in our diet.Whole moong is high in fibre and protein and low in fat and er cholesterol, easily digestible and has very less calories.So without any further delay let’s look into this simple recipe .
- 1 cup of whole moong soaked overnight
- 1-2 tomatoes
- 1-2 green chillies
- Small piece of ginger crushed /chopped OR pinch asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required for seasoning
- A tsp – Mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 broken red chilli
- Pressure cook the soaked whole moong with 4 cups of water(more or less),haldi,ginger if using for 2-3 whistles.
- The moong should be mushy and well cooked .
- Add chopped tomatoes to the cooked moong,add water if required and mash it with a ladle so that everything mixes well.
- Add salt ,green chillies and boil for 5-10 minutes,stirring once in awhile.
- Prepare a seasoning with mustard seeds,curry leaves ,red chillies and hing(if not using ginger).
- Pour this over the thoy and close the lid until ready to serve.
Serve with steaming rice as an accompaniment
- The consistency should be nice and thick ..like we say dhad-dhadi in Konkani.
- You can also make it thin but then it will be called muga saaru.
- Can also replace whole moong with the moong dal .