Usually we use the white urad for making idlis , Sandhan ,dosa or appos . You may also the black urad ( Urad with its skin ) for making similar dishes . this is more nutritious and fibre rich . Even though it may not score on the appearances it is definitely more power packed than the regular idlis ! So lets try out the recipe :-
- Black Urad – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the urad and the methi together for 2 hours .
- Soak the rices for 5 -6 hours .
- Grind the dal in a mixer – preferably in a grinder till you get a smooth thick batter
- Then grind the rices to a coarse paste .
- The batter should have a thick consistency.
- Mix both the pastes in a large container , add the salt and leave to ferment overnight.
- Add the jeera .
- Mix the batter well & pour into a greased vessel .
- Steam cook for about 10 -12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When a little cooler de-mould and cut into desired pieces .
Serve hot with your choice of Sambhar , chutneys or any spicy dish .
You can also make idlis with the same batter like my friend Chitra Kamath has done !