Bharta is a side dish which is usually made from brinjals in North popularly known as “Baingan ka Bhartha” .We too have our own version of Bharthas made from brinjals and potatoes too.My friend cum co-blogger Priya R.Shenoy has already shared her version of bhartha from brinjals. Today I am here with my version of the same dish with a little difference using potatoes.Do try and enjoy.
- 2-3 potatoes,boiled ,peeled and mashed/crumbled
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut
- 2 – 3 green chillies or as per your spice level
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil to drizzle (optional)
- A small piece of tamarind
- Grind the coconut with green chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste using water.
- Add the crumbled or mashed potatoes to the paste.
- Add chopped onions,salt and water as required to get a nice thick consistency.
- Mix well and drizzle coconut oil on top.
Serve as side dish with lunch or dinner.
- Adjust the green chillies as per your preference.
- Some like to have it with rice as accompaniment too during summers.
- Adjust the consistency adding enough water but do not make it very runny.
- This dish tastes best when prepared just before serving, in case you prepare early add onions just 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
2 replies to “Batate Bharta”
Very delicious with potatoes thank you