Idli usli is nothing but a simple upma like dish made from leftover idlis,either for next day breakfast or as snack in the evenings.A very simple recipe but made in almost each and every Konkani household irrespective of where they belong to.Let’s start with the recipe without much delay.
- Leftover idlis as required
- 1/4th to 1/2 cup of grated coconut(preferably fresh)
- 2 – 3 green chillies or as per taste
- A pinch hing
- Salt to taste
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Coconut oil( can use other cooking oil too) – as required
- 1-2 Red chillies broken
- Coriander leaves chopped (optional)
- Take the idlis in a bowl and crumble them with hands.
- Crush the chillies with coconut adding salt and hing.
- Add this to the crumbled idlis and mix gently till everything blends well.
- Season with mustard seeds,red chillies and curry leaves using coconut oil preferably.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if desired.
Serve this delicious usli as breakfast or evening snack.
- Some prefer adding finely chopped onions to the usli ,you can add if you prefer
- One more method is to prepare the seasoning first in a pan,add the crumbled idlies,coconut and mix well and roast for few minutes but I prefer the above method.
- The more coconut you add ,more tastier it is.