Phova Upma / usli is an easy , quick to make and a filling breakfast dish ! This is usually made by Kochi side GSBs . Here is how to make it !
- Phovu / poha – 250 gms
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 3 or more as per taste .
- Jeera – 1tsp
- Groundnuts /peanuts – a handful – optional but do add for more taste.
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut oil & mustard seeds for tempering
- You may use white or red phovu …also thick or thin phovu .
- If you are using thick phovu – wet it thoroughly and keep the water to drain . keep aside
- In a kadai heat the oil , and splutter the mustard seeds . Split the green chillies and add them along with the jeera , curry leaves and peanuts .
- When the chillies and the peanuts have roasted well add the salt and mix well . Add the phovu and the grated coconut .
- Mix well gently so that the phovu is not crushed .
- Cover and let simmer for another 3 minutes . Switch off.
Serve hot with some accompaniments like pickles or frys .
- If you are using thin phovu DO NOT wet it but add directly along with the grated coconut. then sprinkle just enough water so that it gets damp but not wet.
- Try out with all the varieties . Each phovu gives a different taste !