Healthy, Tasty and Quick – that’s Darambya / Dharmbya Sola Ghassi (Malabar Tamarind in coconut gravy) for me. I learned this from my Mom. This is very handy when we are in hurry or when we don’t have many vegetables in stock to make an elaborate curry. This requires only a few ingredients and can be prepared within 20 minutes.
- Dharmbya sol – 3 ½ small pieces
- Grated Coconut – ½ of 1 medium coconut
- Red Chillies – 4 -5
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Methi Seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Red Chilly – 1
- Wash Dharmbya sol.
- Heat 1 cup of water in a kadai and when it boils add dharmbya sol and cook it for some time.
- In the mean time, grind together grated coconut, red chillies and turmeric to a fine paste.
- Add this grinded massolu to the dharmbya sol along with salt.
- Cook for some time in a low flame.
- Do not cook it in a high flame as it will make the curry look curdled.
- Switch off the flame when the raw smell of the massolu goes off.
- Heat oil, add the mustard and when it splutters add Methi. Then red chilly and curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning to the curry and close the lid for some time. Stir well before use.
Enjoy the Ghassi with rice, a simple upkari and a papad.
Note: – If you need to convert this Ghassi in to a Pulichikeri, all you need to do is reduce the dharmbya sol to 2 pieces and add some whisked curd before proceeding with the seasoning.