Red thingalavro also called as ” thambdi bee ” is a popular pulse available in Mangalore / North kerala belt. Its looks almost like the rajma but cooks more fast than rajma..You don’t even have to soak it before cooking , though the soaking does make it cook faster. I have placed them in the picture if you are unaware of the pulse.You can prepare this curry during any auspicious days as this does not contain onion or garlic.
- Red tingalavro – 1 cup
- Magge / yelllow cucumber – 1 cup ( cut in small squares )
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Roasted red chillies – 10 to 15
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Hing powder – 1 and half tsp
- Oil (preferably coconut oil) – 2 tsp
- Pressure cook the pulse till its soft.
- Add the cucumber with salt and pressure cook for one more whistle.
- Grind coconut , red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste adding water.
- Pour this paste to the pulse adding sufficent water.Let it boil well.
- Now sprinkle hing powder and turn off.
- Pour oil on top..Its done..
- You can apply the same recipe to any other pulse like thingalavro / chavli / or even thori.
- If you prefer – you may soak the red tingalavro to speed up the cooking process.
- Adding cucumber is optional – instead you can also add surnu (elephant yam) .