Saghle” is basically a side dish usually served with rice as a gravy of semi thick consistency. We also prepare “puddi saghle ” with almost the same recipe but make it very much dry . Here the saghle is made with a combination of brinjal ,potato and onion . Its a lovely dish which goes well with dalitoy .
- Brinjal ( any variety ) cut in large pieces – 1 cup
- Potato cut into large and thick slices – 2 medium sized
- Onion sliced – 1 large
- Coconut grated – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 8 to 10
- Coriander seeds – 1 spoon
- Tamarind – a small sized.
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tsp
- Heat oil , add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add chopped ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion and saute till it turns transparant.
- Add brinjal and potato together and fry for a while adding salt.
- Cover and cook in low flame …(( No need of adding water at this stage )
- Meanwhile roast corriander and red chillies in little oil till reddish.
- Grind this along with grated coconut and tamarind to a coarse paste adding sufficient water.
- By this time the brinjals and potatoes will be half cooked..and add the coconut mix at this stage along with suffcient amount of water.
- Cover and cook till the veggies are soft and the gravy is almost thick.
Serve hot with rice !