Nivole is a kadi prepared from Vonvon. Vonvon means Carom seeds in English, Ajwain in Hindi,Omam in Tamil , Oma in kannada, Ayamodakam in Malayalam. It is one of those rare spices that fulfill the twin purpose of adding flavour and being good for health.
Carom seeds help in maintaining your digestive health. They treat any kind of abdominal discomfort due to indigestion like stomach pain or burning sensation. It increases the appetite for those suffering from loss of appetite.
Today let us learn this new recipe where the main ingredient is ajwain.This recipe is similar to jeere meere kadi in the blog. This curry is had along with the rice.I learnt this dish from my friend Prajna Pai Prabhu who is also a member of our KKAJ group.
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Ajwain seeds – 1- 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Pepper corns – 10 nos
- Jeera seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Tamarind – marble size
- Onion – 1/2 chopped
- Garlic-2 nos
- Onion- 1/2 for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry roast Ajwain, Red chillies, Pepper corns, Jeera and coriander till brown or till you get a fine aroma of the spices.
- Cool them and powder .
- To this add coconut grated, chopped onion garlic cloves and tamarind. Add enough water and grind to smooth paste.
- Now take a vessel and put this ground masala and sufficient water to dilute the gravy. Consistency should neither be thick nor thin.
- Add salt and heat on a low flame.
- When the bubbles start to appear on the sides of the vessel , switch off the gas. Do not over boil as the masala and the water may curdle .
- In a Kadai add a tsp of oil and fry the chopped 1/2 onion till they turn brown .
- Now pour this on the curry and serve hot along with rice.