Green gram or mugu In Konkani is a very healthy pulse,which is known to be easy and light on stomach as it is easily digestible.Apart from uslis and various curries which have already been shared by my friends in this blog we also prepare a summer drink with this called “muga Udda” ,the recipe of which can be found Here .Recently I came across this recipe called shirshiro when one of our senior member and friend Vidya Nayak Shenoy in our food group posted this. I found the recipe very simple and tried it at home and it turned out so very tasty. That’s when I decided to share it here with her permission .
This is good as evening snacks for kids and also for us during fasting. I learnt that earlier this was used to be prepared in winters but I feel I can eat it anytime. Do try this delicious snack .
- 1 cup of green gram /whole moong / mugu
- Jaggery as required
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 4-5 tbsp. of grated coconut (optional)
- Dry roast the green gram until a nice aroma starts, – then let cool, wash and pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles or till it is well cooked and mushy OR soak the green gram overnight and pressure cook it the next day.
- Add jaggery to a pan with little water., when the jaggery melts add the cooked mung ,cardamom powder,coconut (if using) and simmer till all blends well.
- Serve hot as a snack anytime of the day.
- I have soaked the mung and pressure cooked it the following day.
- Adjust jaggery as required….You can add the jaggery directly to the mung when it is still hot and then transfer to the pan ..and add other ingredients.
- The mung should be well cooked but retain its shape.