Bitter Gourds have been used in our cuisine very extensively in various forms from fries to curries to salads and all have been shared by myself and from my blogger friends in this blog.Today I am sharing a very special recipe using bitter gourds .This recipe was shared to me by my Amma who had tasted this at a distant relative’s home prepared with the small tender homegrown bitter gourds.So when I saw these small bitter gourds in the market here I could not resist preparing it as I love bittergourds.Do try this if you are a bittergourd lover,If the small tender bittergourds are not available can use the regular ones.
- 5-6 small tender bitter gourds
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 2-3 green chillies
- 5-6 flakes of garlic peeled
- A small piece of tamarind
- Jaggery as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil a tbsp or Two
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Trim the edges of the bitter gourds,make a slit and remove the pith and seeds if any,apply some salt and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile grind coconut,garlic cloves,tamarind,jaggery and green chillies adding salt to a coarse paste.Do not add water.
- Wash the bittergourds to remove the bitterness,stuff the coconut filling into each slit and steam them for 15-20 minutes.
- If you prefer you can have it as such at this stage after steaming OR proceed further with the recipe.
- This is how it looks after being steamed.
Heat oil and add the mustard seeds..when they splutter add the leftover coconut filling and saute for a minute..then place the steamed bitter gourds neatly one by one and roast on both sides till they are slightly brown.
- If small bitter gourds are not available can use regular bitter gourds.
- Adjust the jaggery and green chillies as per preference.