Kids & Adults forever love to munch on snacks !! So why not offer them some tasty home made & easily done snacks rather than buy them from stores ! Here is one snack that can be made quickly & without much toil involved.In fact this Mandya Balukk is a very traditional snack of our GSB culture ! I always used to look forward or these in my vacations to Kerala as this Mande/ Colcassia/taro was not available in Madras where I used to stay as a child.
Please note that this mande is not the small variety usually used to make upkaris ( avlamande/ Arbi ) but the bigger & longer variety known variously as Mande / Maddi & Kandichembu (in malayalam).
- Fresh Taro / Colocasia / Mande
- Salt mixed in a few drops of water
- Oil to deep fry
- Choose firm & fresh ones .Peel the skin & wash well .
- Slice them with a sharp knife or preferably for even thickness with a slicer . The slices should be a wee thicker than the usual potato slices
- Mix some salt in a little water & keep it beside the Deep frying pan
- Drop the slices one by one into the hot oil.
- Slowly stir the oil so that the slices don’t stick to one another
- Continue frying till the foam starts to reduce and the chips start to get a crispy texture .
- Now carefully sprinkle a few drops of the salt solution . Mix well so that the salt gets spread uniformly on to the frying chip
- When the foam / bubbles have reduced considerably and the chips have turned crisp , remove them onto a strainer to drain the excess oil .
- Drop them onto a tissue paper to remove all excess oil completely
- Please remember not to use newspapers to drain the oil as it has been proved that the ink in the newspaper gets mixed with hot fried food turning it carcinogenic .
Transfer to an airtight container when cool .Note :-
- These chips will remain milky white when crisp! please don’ t fry them more to change colour .
- You may add salt after you have fried & drained the chips too. Remember to toss well to get the salt evenly coated .
- You may also add chilli powder or pepper powder as per your taste . though most prefer it just salted .