Bibbo means Tender cashew or green shelled cashew.They are available during summer season and just before the Monsoons .It is a konkani favourite.These shelled green cashew are quite costly.We can find bibbya upkari almost in all our functions during the season.It is a prestigious issue to serve bibbya upkari on occasions like marriage, upanayana, etc which is held during this season.It is a must to prepare on Ugadi which is our new year.Few prepare as prasad on Sri Rama navami too.
When we get it abundantly we make upkari just with tender cashew alone or mostly it is combined with Ivy guard which is called tendle in konkani and also with potato.When the cost is little low people buy them in bulk and sun dry it.So that they can be used in the lean seasons !Personally I would recommend everyone to taste the fresh tender cashews upkari at least once as it tastes awesome than the dried ones.We use tender cashews in soyi bhajjil gashi, humman, saungh,valval and various other curries.Poori and bibbya upkari is a well known combo.
Let us go through the recipe
- Bibbo – 100 nos (can use dried ones too)
- Red chillies – 2-3
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery – a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
- Oil – 1-2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Coconut gratings – 1 tbsp
- Remove the outer skin of the cashew either by soaking them in warm water or if possible straight away just with hands .
- Wash it and keep aside. Be careful with your dress as they may stain the dress and hands.
- Heat a pan with oil and prepare seasoning with mustard , red chillies , curry leaves and hing in it.
- Now add the peeled cashews in it, put salt, jaggery and little water. close a lid and cook till they are soft.
- Add coconut gratings and give a good stir. close lid and keep for a minute.
- Switch off gas and serve it along with poori for breakfast or as a side dish with rice.
2 replies to “Bibbe Upkari”
It’s very interesting that the tender cashews can be make as side dish
Yes it’s a celebrated delicacy