Traditionally we make Mangalore buns using maida and sugar which are a big no-no these days for health conscious people.So I thought of this healthy version using wheat flour and jaggery.Except for the colour which is a little darker, this tastes as good as the traditional version. So let’s see the recipe !
- 2 big ripe bananas.
- 2 tbsp curds.
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of powdered jaggery.
- 2 tbsp oil.
- 1 tsp cooking soda powder.
- 1 handful besan (optional)
- Wheat flour 5 cups.(depends upon the size of the bananas)
- Oil for deep frying.
- Grind the bananas, curds, salt, jaggery, soda all together in a mixer.
- Pour the mixture in a big wide bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of hot oil.Mix well using a spatula.
- Now add the besan (optional) and then add wheat flour little by little and knead well, till it becomes a soft dough.
- Don’t add the wheat flour all at once . Because if you have used smaller bananas you may need less flour. You might need more if you had add bigger bananas.
- Once the dough is done, smear it with oil, preferably coconut oil, at all sides, keep it aside for atleast 10- 12 hours before you use it.
- Make small balls,roll them like thick pooris and deep fry till they turn into golden colour.
- Soft , fluffy buns are ready to relish.
- This tastes good with ginger chutney.
- You may also eat it as such !!