Godd Nonche is an instant pickle which is prepared in Karkala ..my hometown during temple feasts. It is liked by everyone and most famous dish that all wait to savour it everyday during temple festivities. My mother in law prepares it in her own way and shared her recipe with us too. It almost tastes like the temple one but yes cant be compared to the divine taste of the one prepared in temple. So here goes my recipe which I learn from my mother in law. Do check the ” Notes ” for substitutes or seasonal veggies to be used in the recipe.
Ingredients for the Powder:-
- Handful of coriander seeds
- 3 tsp black til (sesame seeds)
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/3rd tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
- A small piece of asafoetida(hing)
- 10 -12 red chillies
- 1/4 kg of surnu (Elephant yam) chopped into cubes
- 1/4 kg of Karathe (Bitter Gourds) chopped into cubes
- Raw mango 1-2 chopped into cubes with skin
- Coriander leaves a few sprigs
- A tbsp of coconut oil
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A handful of crushed jaggery
- Marble sized Tamarind (optional) soaked in water
- Salt to taste
Dry roast the ingredients listed under “Powder ” one by one till a nice aroma starts. Cool completely and powder .
Pressure cook the veggies bitter gourd and elephant yam in separate containers for 1-2 whistles ..they should be well cooked but not loose their shape.
Cook the raw mangoes in a vessel with little water or add it along with surnu in pressure cooker but take care to see that they are not mashed up.
- Discard the water from the bitter gourd and mix it with the other veggies. .add fresh water.
- Take these cooked veggies in a wide vessel, add salt, handful of jaggery and boil well till the jaggery melts.
- Now add the prepared powder and mix well so that there are no lumps OR you can mix the powder with little water and then add to the vessel.
- Add the tamarind pulp(if using) and boil well for 8-10 minutes until it thickens
- Check for the sweetness and add more jaggery if required ,also add salt if required at this stage .
- Switch off the gas and add coriander leaves.
- Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves using coconut oil and keep it closed for a few hours so that the flavours can get infused well.
The delicious sweet pickle is ready to be served as side dish.
Godd Nonche prepared with Kadgi/ Jackfruit
- This can be stored for 4-5 days in refrigerator. remove it half an hour before serving and refrigerate the leftover again.
- Other veggies that can be added are raw jackfruit and brined bamboo shoots. I have used bamboo shoots in the dish above.
- Both needs to be cooked in pressure cooker
- If using brined bamboo shoots take care while adding salt .
- This can be prepared using only elephant yam and bitter gourds as well when other ingredients are unavailable .
- This thickens a bit after cooling.
- The powder can be prepared a day in advance to ease the work .
2 replies to “Godd Nonche (Sweet Pickle ..Temple Version)”
Mouthwatering yumm recipe 😀
Thank you Padmini