Methiye Pejj is a very traditional dish made especially during the monsoon seasons and especially in Kerala – in the Hindu calendar month of Karkidakam ( July-August ) and also to increase lactation for women post delivery !The most important ingredient being – Methi / Fenugreek – this dish is a very healthy one for people of all ages ! The monsoons being a time when rain borne diseases are rampant – regular intake of this medicinal gruel / porridge helps increase immunity and improves all round health.
- Raw rice – 1 cup ( please read notes for rice variety )
- Methi / Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp
- Thin Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cups
- Grated Jaggery – 1 cup or as per taste
- Cardamom – 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of salt
Soak the methi seeds in water for about 3-4 hours
Wash the rice and pressure cook the rice & methi together till soft .
You may also cook in a large vessel instead of pressure cooking . In dat case add thin coconut milk in sufficient quantity instead of water . Now to the pressure cooked rice & methi add the thin coconut milk & jaggery and let cook .
When this has cooked well and blended like this in the pic below.
Add the pinch of salt And add the thick coconut milk ,
Mix well and let it come to just one boil . Switch off and add the cardamom powder & keep covered for the flavours to infuse .
Serve with a big dollop of pure desi ghee . To make it more attractive you can add some cashew nuts roasted in ghee too !
- Consistency for the methiye pejj can be much thinner than shown . As we like it a little thicker – I made it this way !
- Also remember this tends to thicken when it gets a little cold .
- You can also add a handful of moong dal with the rice .
- Here I have used Red raw rice – Usually a special red rice – called Njavara ( or Navarra ) is used . You may also use the locally available raw rice ( not basmati ) !
3 replies to “Methiye Pejj”
Amchi traditional classic recipe thank u soo much